Sustainability & Responsibility
In 2021, we set stretching targets to improve our environmental, social and governance performance and become a more sustainable business. We take these commitments seriously and have plans in place to deliver against them in the coming years, making a step change in our performance.
We are making investments in our manufacturing processes and technology to reduce the environmental impact of our business. We are also investing in new materials and process technologies that improve the performance of our products, to deliver greater environmental and safety benefits to our customers.
Our workplace policies and practices as defined in the Morgan Code underpin our efforts to reach our goals. Sustainability and environmental stewardship have been integrated into our daily operations and across our corporate functions. We have invested in manufacturing technology to reduce our carbon emissions and we continue to help our customers with design and material selection to enable them to reduce their own carbon emissions. We also use our engineering tools and design capabilities to provide our customers with innovative product options that bring positive benefits.
We have defined five environmental, social, and governance (ESG) improvement objectives and targets to improve our performance as a Group:
Reduce our environmental impact
1. Our aspiration is to be a CO2 net zero business by 2050. Our 2030 target is to reduce our scope 1 and scope 2 CO2 emissions by 50% (from a 2015 baseline). We will start to measure scope 3 emissions from 2023 onwards, with coverage increasing over time.
2. Our aspiration is to use water sustainably across our business. Our 2030 target is to reduce our overall water usage by 30% and reduce our water usage in high stress areas by 30% (from a 2015 baseline).
Improve our safety performance
3. Our aspiration is to create an environment and culture with zero harm to our employees. Our 2030 target is a lost time accident rate below 0.1 (lost time accidents per 100,000 hours worked).
Improve the diversity & inclusion of our business
4. Our aspiration is that our employee demographics reflect the communities that we operate in. Our 2030 target is for 40% female representation across our leadership population of our organisation.
5. Our aspiration is a welcoming and inclusive environment where our employees can grow and thrive. Our 2030 target is to attain a top quartile employee engagement score.